Sully Police District – Detectives are investigating after two women were assaulted on April 18 while walking on paths in the Centreville area. One of the women was on a path along Braddock Road near Sully Station Drive around 3:22 p.m. in the afternoon when a male grabbed her from behind, touched her inappropriately and ran away. The second woman was near a pond at a park on Walney Road when she saw a male approaching people and asking for hugs around 6:30 p.m. in the evening. The male approached her from behind, pressed his body against hers and ran away after she confronted him.
The man is described as white, possibly in his late teens to early 20s with short dark hair and glasses. Detectives are working to determine if these cases are related.
Please consider following these safety tips so everyone can continue to safely enjoy the outdoors:
- Run, jog or walk in areas that are familiar to you.
- If you are walking in an unfamiliar location, bring a friend along with you.
- Avoid running, jogging or walking in a poorly lit or secluded area or after dark.
- Tell someone where you’ll be and share your GPS location with them.
- Do not wear headphones or earbuds.
- Switch up your route and pattern so your actions aren’t predictable.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
Anyone who has information about these cases or suspect information is asked to please contact Detective J. Farrell of the Sully District Station Criminal Investigations Section at 703-814-7026. Tips can also be submitted anonymously through Crime Solvers by visiting http://www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org, or calling 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). They can also be sent in via text by texting “TIP187” plus the message to CRIMES (274637). Text STOP to 274637 to cancel, or HELP to 274637 for help. Message and data rates may apply. Anonymous tipsters are eligible for cash rewards of $100 to $1000 if their information leads to an arrest.